50 Things to Do in Tahoe This Summer
There’s probably nothing better than the mountains in summer. The days are hot and sunny and the nights are cool with that perfect temperature for sleeping in a tent. Lake Tahoe really comes alive in the summer months with various outdoor sports and special events. Even though this list could go on ad infinitum, we narrowed it down to the top 50.
1. Kayak to Fannette Island, hike up to the tea house and jump off the rocks into Emerald Bay
2. Hit a few golf balls into the water at Edgewood and then go snorkeling to find them again
3. Get an all-over tan on the nude beach at Secret Cove.
4. Hike to the top of Mount Tallac for views of Fallen Leaf Lake, Cascade Lake, Desolation Wilderness, and South Lake Tahoe.
5. Bring a picnic for the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival‘s production of As You Like It at Sand Harbor.
6. Grab a beer and chat with the locals at the Genoa Bar (Nevada’s Oldest Thirst Parlor) in Genoa.
7. Hike from Emerald Bay to Lester Beach on the Rubicon Trail.
8. Paddleboard from King’s Beach to Crystal Bay on the North Shore.
9. Find your balance at the Wanderlust yoga festival at Squaw Valley.
10. Go kayak or boat camping at the Emerald Bay Boat-In Campground.
12. Fly along the water on a jet ski from Tahoe Sports.
13. Hike to the top of Mount Rose and a get a view of Reno/Sparks, Carson City, Washoe Valley, and all of Lake Tahoe.
14. Hike or mountain bike portions of or the entire 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail.
16. Tube the Truckee river through downtown Reno.
17. Jump off the rocks into the cold, blue water in the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park.
18. Admire some beautiful boats at the Concours d’Elegance.
19. Get the beer sampler and a Bad Ass Pizza at the Brewery in South Lake Tahoe. Eat on the outside deck.
20. Take the ferry and then hike the Echo Lakes Trail into Desolation Wilderness.
21. Hang glide off the top of Slide Mountain with Thermal Sky Sports.
22. After all the hiking and biking, get deep tissue or foot massage at Mountain Lotus Yoga.
23. Go shopping in downtown Truckee.
24. Jump off the Donner Lake public docks at sunset.
25. Kayak from Sand Harbor to the Thunderbird Lodge.
27. Go green and stay at the Basecamp Hotel in South Lake Tahoe.
28. Hike along a portion of the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail.
29. Drink wine and play bocce at the Truckee River Winery.
30. Parasail over the North Shore.
31. Go backpack camping in Desolation Wilderness.
32. Have an evening picnic at Nevada Beach.
33. Head down to Reno for Artown.
34. Stay at the Camp Richardson Cabins before heading to Baldwin and Kiva beach.
35. Go camping at D.L. Bliss State Park.
36. Take a sunset sail on the Tahoe Cruz or the Woodwind II.
37. Bike from Sugar Pine Point to Tahoe City on the bike path.
38. Pretend you’re a viking warrior while touring the Vikingsholm Castle in Emerald Bay.
39. Get together 12 of your best friends and stay at the Tahoe Castle.
40. Enjoy the sound of the river while drinking a beer at the Bridgetender in Tahoe City.
41. Go river rafting on the Truckee in Tahoe City.
42. While in Reno, bike along the Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway.
44. Explore the North Shore in a kayak.
46. Get high above the lake in a hot air balloon.
47. Sleep close to nature in the rustic Clair Tappaan Lodge on Donner Summit.
48. Hike to the top of the paved Stateline Fire Lookout trail with the kids.
49. Chow down on an ice cream cone from the Camp Richardson Resort ice cream parlor.